Ahhhhh. We have come to one of my most favourite things in the world. Melty, gooey, warm, toasted marshmallow. And how do we make this awesome experience even better? SMORES, OF COURSE!
I was at the Bali airport recently and a magazine with a Smores cookie on the cover just got me walking, no wait, running to it! Picked it up, brought it home and WHAM BAM, next thing I knew I was making it. I used gingersnap cookies instead of graham (you can use digestives) and or course, dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate as the marshmallow and cookie can be quite sweet.
One thing I realised is that it can be hard to torch your marshmallow to perfection. Which means toasty on the outside and totally melty gooey on the inside, without burning the whole damn thing with a torch. My suggestion is to torch it on a REALLY small flame setting, or if you don't have a torch, stick a marshmallow on the end of a satay stick, slowly torch it on your kitchen stove, rotating the stick like a rotisserie, not too close to the flame and be careful not to burn the whole thing. Or you could just pop the marshmallow in the oven until puffed and then quickly place it on the cookie. Whatever works, u know!
Chocolate Smore Cookie Sandwiches
Adapted from: Donna Hay Magazine, Issue 86
Yield: 12 sandwiched cookies
100g dark chocolate, chopped
40g unsalted butter
135g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g all purpose flour, sifted
25g cocoa powder, sifted
2 tsp baking powder, sifted
100g gingersnap cookies, crushed
12 large marshmallows
50g dark chocolate, melted, for drizzling
1) Melt 100g dark chocolate in a bain marie or in the microwave on 10s bursts. Set aside to cool slightly.
2) Beat butter and sugar in a stand mixer for 2 mins till well combines. Add the egg, vanilla and cooled melted chocolate and beat to combine. Add the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and beat till combined. Pop it into the fridge for 30 mins or till firm.
3) Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Place crushed cookies into a bowl. Roll chilled dough into 24 balls. Toss them onto the crushed cookies and roll to coat. Arrange them on baking trays lined with greaseproof paper, and press them with your palm to flatten them out a little. Allow room to spread.
4) Bake them for 8 mins, till surface of cookie cracks and edges crispy. The centres of the cookies will still be soft. Let cool completely on tray.
5) Top one half of the cookie with a marshmallow. Use a torch to lightly toast the marshmallow (on low flame setting) till marshmallow is puffed and toasted. Quickly drizzle some of the extra melted chocolate on it and sandwich it with another cookie. Eat IMMEDIATELY! :)