This one is a flavourful salad, perfect on toast for brunch, by itself for weekday lunch, or even as a side salad for your roast chicken dinners! As far as possible, please buy non grated Parmesan and grate it yourself. Trust me when I say it makes a whole lot of difference!
MINT, EGG AND ASPARAGUS SALAD
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
4 large eggs cold from fridge
25g walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
15g parmesan, grated
1 chilli, chopped thinly
Salt and course black pepper
300g thick asparagus, ends trimmed
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped or torn roughly
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1) Bring water to a boil in kettle. Pour into small pot and bring to rapid boil. Put in eggs and start timer to 7 mins. After it’s done, set aside eggs in bowl of ice water. This will shock the eggs and stop it from continuing to cook. Set aside while you prep other ingredients.
2) Trim tough ends off asparagus. Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 3 mins, just to soften them a little. Strain and let dry a little. Slice into small slices and set aside.
3) Grate lemon zest and parmesan cheese into bowl. Add walnuts, salt, pepper and chilli. Add asparagus, mint leaves and half of lemon juice and olive oil. Stir well and taste. Add more of the lemon juice, salt and pepper if you want to.
4) Slice eggs and stir them very briefly into the salad so you don’t mush them up too much. Reserve one or two halves of egg for garnish.
5) Place in bowls and serve topped with reserved egg.